I am famous for cleaning out the fridge & making some awesome soups. Joe’s daddy is a little picker than some in the past, but this time, I must say….. I so out did myself!
We have gotten a LOT of rain here in the past month – a LOT! So tomatoes are growing so fast they are split at the tops before they have time to grow out completely. Mind you they are still eatable just not so purdy.
Thank goodness for Walter, Wilma, China & that other guy. They will eat the not so pretty parts of anything ( I keep thinking the human species should take a lessons from them piggies ~ food for the belly, quite simple)
SO instead of my normal “clean out the fridge stew” Joon & I did a “clean off the cupboard gumbo”!
here we go – just as I did it
- Boil down ummmm I’d say about 1/2 cup mixed “soup” beans in water in a med sized pan. When tender transfer to a large stock pot and add
- 1 quart canned tomatoes from 2012 with the juice drained off (yep used that the other day) so approx 3/4 of a qt jar to a large stock pot
- more than a handful of fresh green beans from the garden, snapped into thirds
- nearly 1 whole clove of garlic (less maybe 3 babies)
- about 5 ribs of last of the bag celery with a few tops
- approx 2 tablespoons dried “in a jar” beef stock
- 1 BIG (& I mean BIG) onion (softball or bigger)
- approx 10 small to medium crappy tomatoes with the ugly split tops cut off (for the pigs) chopped with skins and all – throw them in
- 2 handfuls or so fresh okra – chopped
- from one of them big spice plastic containers 6 shakes ground cumin
- 2 quarter sized palm piles of coriander seed
- 2 nickel sized palm piles of Thyme
- 1 fresh cayenne pepper – whole
- fresh ground peppercorns in a baby mason – pour a “ooops! that was more than a little” in
- Sea salt -shake some in
- a 32 oz big cup of water + some
- 5 cruddy looking bay leaves that you get from the bulk food store for .96 cents in a big plastic bag
- 2 small “Porky” Ham steaks cured out from Krehbiels in Mac – cubed small
- mind you I am chopping and adding all this as I go here ….
- about between 1/4 – 1/2 cup sugar
- 4 palms of rice
- 6 maybe + Tablespoons cream of wheat 😉
- maybe 4-5 small pimentos fresh from the garden chopped small
- at the tail end a the boil down I’d say about 10 min before serving time take a handful of mostly swiss chard & some arugula from the garden. De-vein the chard, piece the tops of arugula – julienne all and add to stock pot